If you’re a fan of craft cocktails and enjoy exploring new bars and breweries, then the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is the perfect companion for your next adventure. This unique passport program allows you to discover some of the best Old Fashioned cocktails in Wisconsin, while also supporting local businesses and experiencing the state’s rich cocktail culture.
In this blog post, we’ll explore what the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is, how it works, and why it’s a must-have for cocktail enthusiasts. We’ll also provide tips on how to make the most of your passport experience and share some of the best places to visit along the way. So grab your passport and let’s dive in!
What is the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport?
The Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is a program created by the Wisconsin Department of Tourism in collaboration with local bars, restaurants, and breweries across the state. It’s designed to showcase Wisconsin’s unique cocktail culture and promote local businesses that serve exceptional Old Fashioned cocktails.
The passport itself is a physical booklet that contains information about participating establishments, including their locations, contact details, and special offerings. Each establishment featured in the passport offers a unique twist on the classic Old Fashioned cocktail, making it a fun and exciting way to explore Wisconsin’s diverse cocktail scene.
How does the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport work?
To participate in the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport program, you’ll need to purchase a passport booklet either online or at select retail locations across the state. The passport typically costs around $20 and is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
Once you have your passport, you can start your cocktail adventure by visiting any of the participating establishments listed in the booklet. At each location, present your passport to the bartender or server, and they will stamp or sign your passport to acknowledge your visit. Some establishments may also offer special discounts or promotions exclusively for passport holders.
The goal is to collect as many stamps or signatures as possible, as each visit brings you one step closer to becoming a Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport Ambassador. To achieve Ambassador status, you’ll need to collect stamps from a certain number of establishments, which may vary each year. Achieving Ambassador status comes with its own perks, such as exclusive events and discounts at participating establishments.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Passport Experience
Now that you know what the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is and how it works, here are some tips to ensure you have an enjoyable and memorable experience:
- Plan your route: Before embarking on your passport journey, take some time to plan your route. Look at the map provided in the passport booklet and identify the establishments you’d like to visit. Grouping them by location will help you maximize your time and minimize travel.
- Try different variations: One of the highlights of the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is the opportunity to try unique variations of the classic cocktail. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new flavors and ingredients. You might discover a new favorite!
- Engage with the staff: Bartenders and servers are often passionate about their craft and can provide valuable insights about the establishment and their cocktail offerings. Strike up a conversation, ask questions, and let them guide you through their menu. This will enhance your overall experience and make your visit more memorable.
- Capture the moment: Take photos of the cocktails you try and share them on social media using the designated hashtag for the passport program. Not only will this help you remember your favorite drinks, but it will also contribute to the online community of passport holders and inspire others to join in the fun.
- Support local businesses: The Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport program is all about supporting local businesses. Show your appreciation by leaving positive reviews, recommending establishments to friends and family, and returning to your favorite spots even after you’ve completed your passport journey.
Best Places to Visit in the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport
While there are numerous establishments to visit in the Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport, here are a few highly recommended ones to get you started:
- Lost Whale (Milwaukee): Known for its innovative cocktail menu and cozy atmosphere, Lost Whale offers a variety of Old Fashioned variations that will leave you craving for more.
- The Old Fashioned (Madison): A local favorite, The Old Fashioned is renowned for its traditional take on the cocktail. Enjoy your drink alongside delicious Wisconsin comfort food in this rustic tavern.
- Drinks by the Dram (Green Bay): If you’re looking for a unique experience, head to Drinks by the Dram, where you can sample rare and limited-edition spirits. Their Old Fashioned flights are a must-try.
- Cure (Milwaukee): Cure is a hidden gem that offers a rotating menu of seasonal cocktails. Their attention to detail and dedication to quality make this establishment a must-visit for cocktail enthusiasts.
Remember, these are just a few examples of the many fantastic places you can explore with your Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport. Each establishment has its own charm and distinct offerings, ensuring a diverse and exciting cocktail journey.
The Wisconsin Old Fashioned Passport is not just a booklet; it’s a gateway to Wisconsin’s vibrant cocktail culture and a chance to support local businesses. By embarking on this passport adventure, you’ll not only enjoy exceptional Old Fashioned cocktails but also create lasting memories and connections with fellow cocktail enthusiasts.
So, grab your passport, gather your friends, and embark on a cocktail-filled journey through Wisconsin. Cheers to exploring new flavors and raising a glass to the state’s rich cocktail heritage!